I’m a HUGE fan of red meat! Many people who are looking to be health conscious cut red meat out of their diet completely and stick to chicken, fish and turkey. As long as it is being cooked in a healthy way (aka not frying or overloading with sauce) and is a lean cut of meat then the average person can still be health conscious while eating red meat.
I love this recipe because it is done on the grill, one of my all-time favorite ways of cooking.
• 1 cup sea salt
• 1/2 cup paprika
• 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons white pepper
• 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons garlic powder
• 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cumin
• 1/4 cup onion powder
• 3 tablespoons cayenne powder
• 3 tablespoons dry mustard powder
• 3 tablespoons black pepper
• 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 4 8-ounce flat iron steaks
1. Preheat your grill to medium-hot.
2. Combine all of your spices in a large container to make the spice rub.
*You will only be using a small amount of this rub but it is much easier to make a big batch and save the rest for later.
3. Mix 2-4 tablespoons spice rub with 4 tablespoons olive oil, and rub some into each steak. Sprinkle some extra seasoning on if desired.
4. Grill steak until medium-rare to medium, about 7 minutes.
5. Let meat rest for 10 minutes, then slice across the grain.
6. To serve, divide slices from each steak among plates. Serve with roasted onion wedges and salsa.
Great side dishes for this include mashed sweet potatoes, wild rice or a salad. You could also take the meat and use it as a meat in a large salad if you’d like!
This dish pairs wonderfully with a Malbec! Ask for help picking one at your wine store or browse this list for some great options. I highly recommend sticking with Malbec’s from Argentina.
*recipe adapted from the recipe found here.